Notice to all trackies…….
Whether you’re a current trackie, a past trackie or even a junior rider that doesn’t yet know they’re a trackie – here is some info for the 2020/2021 National Championship season.
· Elite and Under 19 Madison and Omnium 27th – 29th Nov 2020 Cambridge
· Elite and Under 19 Track Nationals 24th – 27th Feb 2021 Invercargill.
· Age Group and Master’s Track Nationals 10th – 13th Mar 2021 Cambridge.
To be entered in the NZ Track Nationals you must be a member of a Cycling Club that has an affiliation with the West Coast North Island Cycling Centre and meet some qualifying criteria. You will be riding for the WCNI centre. Selectors for our centre are
· Grant Wilson Taranaki email@example.com
· Mike Simpson Manawatu firstname.lastname@example.org
· Nick Spark Horowhenua (Convenor)email@example.com
Selectors will be present at most Club and Centre events to observe riders but more importantly, be available to answer questions, and generally assist with the process. The table below displays the qualifying times for each event and describes the limitations we have in numbers attending etc. This may seem a little confusing right now, but it will become clear as the season progresses. I have listed below bullets points of some important facts/requests.
· It would be helpful if each Club could appoint a single person to be their point of contact for communications etc. (Advise the selectors).
· Club reps should be someone who can actively encourage participation in track riding and selection for Nationals.
· All riders must register their interest as a Nationals contender with the convenor of selectors.
· All track carnivals and training should be done on your gearing for your 2021 grade. Even if an event is run in 2020, we are targeting selection for 2021 but be sure to study the fine print of events run outside WCNI.
· Selectors will be present at all Club carnivals and WCNI track champs, so it is important that you, as riders, attend these events to get noticed.
· Qualifying time from outside events can be submitting but please let the selectors know where and when you achieved such times. Selectors can only use correctly recorded times from 3 stop watches and which have been signed off by a commissaire or published at events using electronic timing equipment.
It is a little frustrating for all of us that qualifying times are based on riding indoors, so riders are encouraged to attend events at the Cambridge Avantidrome. Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Auckland Centre Champs (held 11th – 13th December 2020) is a good opportunity to hit your times and get some good racing.
Please be reminded that the selectors are motivated to get as many riders as possible to Nationals not chop riders or make it difficult to achieve selection. Any queries, please ask.
Selection Criteria/ Qualification Times
Listed below are the maximum number of riders the Centre can enter per event, together with Time Qualification standards where appropriate.
Selections for the Scratch and Points Race across the Age Groups are not limited but riders will need to demonstrate at the Centre championships that they are at a level of ability to be competitive at the National Championships.
Other contested events eg; Keirin, where there are limited spots available will be selected by rider placing at the Centre Track Championships, with the top riders gaining entry sequentially up to the permitted number of places.
Qualifying times that are recorded outside of the Centre Championships should be posted within the previous six months and signed off by a Cycling New Zealand official, eg; Commissaire Timed Events – All riders who match the Time Qualification (TQ’s) are permitted entry if selected by their Centre (no limit). If the number of TQ’s exceed the noted number, then no Non-TQ’s are permitted. If the number of TQ’s are less than the noted number, then the remaining places can be filled by non-TQ’s.
Qualifying Criteria 2020
Important Events to attend.
Please see attached WCNI Events calendar.
Finally, let’s all look forward to a great season of track riding and clubs will be canvassed for their rider’s names and details in due course.
Convenor of Selectors
027 485 3632