Track racing up to Christmas has been a great success and here’s hoping for an even better half to the end of March 2012. Club Championships are to come and West Coast North Island Championships at Wanganui on 28th and 29th of January.
Highlights of the season so far:
· A record number of bikes hired out (37)
· A record number of 50 riders made it onto the track for a Club night in November.
· Four Club records broken and one established.
1 lap standing start (times in seconds)
Under 17 girls Kate Stewart 34.44 (old record 34.74)
Senior Women Hayley Giddens 34.26 (old record 38.64)
Under 15 boys Campbell Stewart 32.79 (old record 33.15)
Masters 4 Men Brent Zimmerman 32.67 (old record 32.89)
Masters 3 Men Peter Wenborn 35.96 ( record established)
· The weather has been good and not too much wind. Only one meeting had to be cancelled which was a real pity as Simon van Velthoven turned up to ride. Congrats to him on his recent successes at Oceania Championships and World Cup, plus his NZ record for the Kilo.
· A good Open Meeting was held on the 4th of December with a good attendance.
· A great Christmas meet was held on Sunday the 18th of December. A good lolly scramble was enjoyed by all. Thanks to the three Club members who donated $180 of prize money for the day.
THANKS to all those that have officiated and helped at the track meets.
· To John Stewart who arranged track repairs.
· To Nicola Wallace, Clint Humphries and Ian who spent nearly 40 hours on maintenance of track bikes.
· To the Board who obtained funding for 9 new track bikes.
· To Darren Humphreys who has handled results to the Newspapers and write ups for the Website.
Negatives of the season so far:
· The three people that have hired bikes but have not turned up at any meeting.
· On the only night we raced on a Thursday we saw the most deliberate piece of dangerous riding when a rider tried to ride another rider into the fence- a despicable act! This piece of riding undermined all the good sportsmanship and safe riding shown by all other riders.
First Meeting of the New Year will be Thursday 5th of January with warm up from 5.45pm for a 6.10pm start.