This year’s event is shaping up to be the best yet; event organisers Events Manawatu and Destination Manawatu have come up with a modified course and new innovations.
Event Director Selwyn Brown says” The day promises to be a real celebration of cycling in the Manawatu along with a Country Fare taking place in the Square, with food stalls, a live band playing all afternoon and prize giving with fabulous prises starting at the earlier time of 4.30pm.
Highlights of the day include:
1. An Elite race starting at 10.30am with and amazing prize pool of training grants, including:
· $4,000 for the first rider home
· $1000, $500, $400,5th-7th $300, 8th – 10th $250 1st under 23 rider $200 Under 19 riders $300, $200, $100.
· 4 King of the Mountain stages which are worth $300, $200, $100 with the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.points being awarded at each Hill climb. The overall King of the Mountains picks up another $500.
2. The new time for aged based recreational rider category will see the winner from the Solo men’s and women’s recreational field winning a trip of a lifetime to the Pacific Resort in the Cook Islands. This could end up being a young person or like last year John Black a 60+ year Vet from Wanganui.
3. All Solo riders in the 160km event will also be automatically apart of Bike NZ’s Summer series of Cycling with associated Bike NZ prizes.
4. A new category will see an 80 km women’s recreational stage starting from Apiti at 8.30am.
5. We are also Staging the West Coast North Island Club Championships within the event will mean Open, Under 23,and under19 men will take part in the Country Road Manawatu Classic Ride Elite race at the new time of 10 30am.
6. Open Boys and Girls under 15’s will start from the Feilding Transition at 9.00am. Open under 17 Boys and Girls will start from Kimbolton, with the open women and other women’s grades starting from Apiti at 8.30am
7. Another new feature of the event, the recreational women will start from Apiti at 8.30am.
8. So if you are thinking of having a great weekend in Palmerston North also consider staying at Event Headquarters on Friday night the Kingsgate Hotel (06-356 8059) which is also offering the following
· A shared twin room and breakfast for $99.00.GSt Inc.
· A $19.95 pasta meal on the Friday night in Zoe’s restaurant.
· And exclusively for those staying at the Kingsgate Hotel, 3 spot prizes including a free night’s accommodation within the Millennium Hotel group…