Following the earlier posting on our website Masters Age cyclists are now invited to enter the 4 event programme for Masters Age Groups over March and April 2014. These events are open to all Club members, female and male compete separately, the results of those 35 years of age and over will count towards the Masters Grade and Overall Championships, results outside Masters ages will not count toward any awards. No upper age limit applies and no experience in racing is necessary.
The programme for the 4 x events over 3 separate days follows (this info is also in the Club website calendar):
- Sunday 23rd March 2014, 9.00 AM, venue Feilding Velodrome, Track Events – Sprint, 200 metres and Individual Pursuit, 2000 metres (5 x laps).
- Sunday 6th April 2014, 9.00 AM, venue start in Salisbury Street, Ashhurst and finish at top of the Saddle Road – Hill Climb, 6 km..
- Saturday 29th March 2014,9.00am venue Rongotea – Individual Time Trial, 20 km to be held as part of Saturday club racing.
These events will appeal to non-racing 35 years of age & over cyclists, but are not exclusive, all club members can enter on the day. For the Masters age groups the actual results will determine each 5 year Age Grade Champion and by applying historical time handicaps to the results of each event and converting to points overall female & male champions are determined. To be eligible to be an Age Grade or Overall Champion you must enter at least 3 of the above events.
INFO FOR TRACK, SUNDAY 23 MARCH 2014
- Entries can be made on-line via club website, or by phoning Ian Gray, ph 357 7953 or Mike Keenan, ph 358 6318 or enter on the day from 8.30 AM. Racing due to start 9.00 AM.
- Entry fee applies.
- The 200M Sprint, one cyclist against the clock from a flying start.
- The 2000M Pursuit, 5 laps, is against the clock from a standing start.
- Provisional times should be available at the BBQ after the events.
WATCH THE WEBSITE FOR INFO ON THE HILL CLIMB & ITT
Please do not feel hesitant, these events are ridden individually, previous experience in riding with other cyclists or racing is not necessary, you only need to ride to your own standard.
These events originated from the Manawatu Masters Cycling Club and their records are still available. One of the great records is held by the late Roger Nevatt, for the Hill Climb starting in a Salisbury St, Ashhurst to the top of the Saddle Road, his time was 14 mins 24 secs, in 2002 when he was in the 44 – 49 age group. This would still be a challenge to any age group riding today.
If you are of masters age and these events appeal please keep a watch of the Bike Manawatu website for information on the remaining events, or contact Ian Gray ph 357 7953 or Mike Keenan ph 358 6318.