The Novice Tour of Manawatu is a tour for licensed under 13,15,17 & 19 riders and is recognized as a premier Two Day Cycle Tour.
In line with CNZ, if we have any U23 women wanting to participate in our tour, you may email Cycling New Zealand for approval and your application will be conisdered on a case by case basis email@example.com
Once we have approval from CNZ we can work through your entry manually.
In 2021 it is a 3 stage tour held within the Manawatu region.
Saturday 30th October, Sunday 31st October 2021
We are proud to be part of the 2021 Cycling New Zealand National Road Series.
Click here for more information on full series. http://nationalroadseries.nz
**Please note our 2021 Novice Tour is considered a bonus round**
Volunteers are the heart of our community
We are always looking for volunteers to help at our tour – If you or someone you know is available to offer a hand Marshalling, Judging, Driving etc- Please click here to fill in our form
The stages for the Novice Tour are as follows:
Friday night (29th October 2021)
Registration at Central Bicycle Studio at 69 Walding Street, Palmerston North from 4pm – 6pm and again at the event base, Ashhurst School the next morning from 7.30am. Please let us know if this will be you
Saturday (30th October 2021)
8:00 am – Officials & Volunteers Meeting at HQ
8:45 am – Stage 1: Road Race – Hiwinui, Colyton Loop
1:30pm – Stage 2: ITT – Ashhurst to Pohangina
2021 Start List Can Be Found Here – Click HERE
Sunday (31st October 2021)
8:45 am – Stage 3: Road Race – Valley Road Circuit
Prizegiving: 1.30pm – Ashhurst School – HQ Area
Points and Time Bonuses
The competitor with the lowest aggregate riding time, less any bonuses, plus any penalties, shall be the leader of the tour.
Time Bonuses For General Classification
1st = 10 sec
2nd = 5 sec
3rd = 3 sec
4th = 1 sec
Sprint Ace Competition
The competitor with the greatest number of points from the Sprint Primes shall be the Sprint Ace
Points for the sprint Ace Classification:
1st = 6 pts
2nd = 4 pts
3rd = 2 pts
4th = 1 pt
The finish of stages 1 & 3 count towards sprint ace competition
King / Queen of the Mountain Competition
The competitor with the greatest number of points from the KoM / QoM Primes shall be the King/ Queen of the Mountain
Points for the KoM / QoM Classification:
1st = 6 pts
2nd = 4 pts
3rd = 2 pts
4th = 1 pt
Most Aggressive Rider
Under 17 Boys & Girls and Under 19 Mens Grade only.
Selected by the Commissaires and awarded to the most combative rider.
U19’s are permitted Aero Bikes for TT
*Riders may be asked for a gear check at any time. Maximum roll-out is as follows
U13 – 6.61 metres
U15 – 6.61 metres
U17 – 7.00 metres
U19 – 7.93 metres
- The race will be conducted under CNZ rules, in addition to the following:
- All appeals must be submitted to the Chief Judge in writing within 30 minutes of stage finish, with a fee of $50.
- Only feeding zone will be for U19 Boys at the top of Valley Road for Stage 3 (Sunday)
- To be eligible for the winner’s jerseys at prize giving, all stages must be completed.
- All service must be carried out on the left hand side of the road by neutral service only.
- Riders who deliberately break the road rules, will be warned/penalised/disqualified from the race at the discretion of the Commissaires.
- Restarts will be given to riders who puncture or have a major mechanical breakdown within the first 200m of the time trial. Time penalties will be given for false starts.
- Riders who puncture or have a mechanical after the first 200m will be credited with their own time or time of slowest rider who doesn’t have any mechanicals, whichever is fastest.
- No drafting by service vehicles will be permitted. Any rider being assisted up hills/back to the bunch will be disqualified. Any riders vehicles following in the race convoy will incur a time penalty against the rider.
- There will be no appeals regarding misdirection. Riders should know the course.
- No riders are to warm up on the Time Trial course.
- In the event of a tie, the placing in the final stage will decide the overall placing (All classifications).
- Riders must finish within 20% of the winning time to begin the next stage, at the sole discretion of the Chief Commissaire
- Riders may be asked for a gear check at any time. Maximum roll-out for under 13 and under 15 riders is 6.61 metres, under 17 is 7 meters and under 19 is 7.93 metres.
- Riders must be present at the prize giving after the race to collect their trophies and any spot prizes. Correct cycling clothing and shoes must be worn on the podium.
- The Commissaires shall decide upon matters not accounted for in these rules.
- Time Trial Bikes – Only Allowed for U19.
- Clip on Aero Bars Allowed for U17 and above
- Standard gear for U13 & U15 riders
- Helmets as per the CNZ Rules
Sign On . Roll Out
Riders must sign on for all stages except the Time Trial
Roll out is compulsory for all riders prior to the Time Trial. Once rolled out riders must proceed straight from the Roll Out area to the Start Chute.
Roll out is compulsory for the first five finishers in each stage and for other riders at the discretion of the commissaire.
Race Numbers Placement
One of the Middle Lower Back
Second on the Left hand side – readable for the Sprint & K/QoM Judges
*Race Numbers & Transponders must be returned at the completion of your race or you will be invoiced and charged for their replacements.
Bathrooms will be available at Colyton School & Hiwinui School
For anyone spectating, we ask that you follow the traffic rules and park well off the roads and preferably around Colyton & Hiwinui Schools.
There shall be no vehicles or motorbikes following the race between the lead and tail vehicles in any grade.
Separate GC Jerseys will be awarded for U13, U15, U17, U19 Boys & Girls
Separate King of the Mountains / Queen of the Mountains Jerseys will be awarded for U13, U15, U17 Boys & Girls & U19 Men & U19 Women
Separate Sprint Ace Jerseys will be awarded for U13, U15, U17 Boys & Girls & U19 Men & U19 Women
Spot Prizes to the complete prize pool over all age groups to be drawn at random at prize giving – *Please note you must be present at prize giving to receive your prize
each participant will be issued with a seatpost transponder pictured below.
If necessary you can put it below the clamp.
Emergency Contact Details
Secretary@bikemanawatu.co.nz or 021 152 3306 – Keryn
Traffic Management will be in place – Central TTM
Wilton First Aid will be in attendance Brian Wilton 027 488 9190 & Dean 021 304 936
Palmerston North Hospital 06-356 9169 OR 111
Event Village Map
Ashhurst Primary School
96 Cambridge Avenue, Ashhurst 4810
Please do not park in the Valley Centre car park, along Cambridge Ave or the cricket pitch in the school grounds.
T = Toilets
C = Coffee Cart
HQ = Event Village Central – HQ & Sign On Area