Registration 5.15pm – Please meet at Colyton School (421 Colyton Road, Colyton 4775)
Race briefing 5.45pm – all riders must attend
Start Time / First Grade off at 6pm
***Please Pre Register, Its much easier to delete or DNS you from our start list if something comes up and you cant make it than to add you in while everyone is trying to register****
Entry Fee: $5 for members, $10 non members
All payments must be made online, please no payments on the day Bike Manawatu ANZ 01-0745-0284925-00 please use your name, race number & race name as reference
This event is run as a graded handicapped race
Grades and handicaps will be determined on the date and subject to numbers
The Colyton / Hiwinui circuit (anti-clockwise) is a 18.37 km loop – This will be 2 laps of the circuit.
An excellent event for all ages and stages.
Come out and test yourself – We would love to see you
History – Essex Cup
Harry Essex was a publican who sponsored cycling in the 1950’s. This was a
Traditionally a Handicapped road race from Ashhurst – Pohangina (totara reserve) through the gravel and back approx. 50km
This year (2021) we have made the decision to head away from the gravel and change up the course to encourage more riders
- All parking is to be well off the road – please respect the Colyton residence and their nature strips I.e please don’t park on the soggy verge
- Please proceed to registration
- Registration will be at Colyton School
- Hand Sanitiser will be available in the timing van
- Payment should be made online prior to the event $5 members, $10 non members. please no late registrations or payments on the day
- Please remember to continue to practise social distancing if covid levels require us to do so
- Ensure you give yourself plenty of time to register, pin your number, grab your transponder* and go to the start area awaiting the race managers briefing.
- Numbers are to be placed on the left hand side, rear quarter of your race top.
- *It is your responsibility to ensure your transponder is on correctly if it is not it may not read on our system, therefore you may not receive a finish time.
- If you have been issued a Bike Manawatu race number please remember to bring this to all events.
- Start & Meet outside Colyton School on 421 Colyton Road, Colyton
- Sign on 5:15pm at HQ – (Colyton School carpark)
- Race briefing 5.45pm – all riders must attend
- First grade start 6.00am
- Please remember to respect the locals living these roads.
- Please be considerate. No spitting or “snot rockets” in the bunch please
- Please do not attend our event if you are unwell
- One way bridge on Reids Line East at 4.45km
- One way bridge on Colyton Road 16.83km
- Traffic management will be in place, but this is to warn other road uses that we are there.
- Roads are open and all normal road rules apply (riders must obey NZ road rules at ALL times)
- Marshals are provided for direction and in some places to stop cyclists due to traffic
- Riders must give way at all junctions as required.
- Please be courteous to other road users
- Do not cross the center line unless safe to do so.
- We are on narrow quite roads when often there is no white line. Stay left
- Riders should not exceed 2 abreast
- Beware of trucks, tankers and agricultural machinery
- Be courteous to other road users
- We RECOMMEND the use of a rear light.
Click here to view online
Starting and Finishing outside Colyton School – 421 Colyton Road
0.13 km Turn Left onto Taonui Road
Start Zone is on the gravel behind kurb on Taonui Road / Colyton Road Intersection
1.89km Turn Left onto Reids Line East
4.45km on Reids Line East – Beware of 1 way Bridge
9.54km Turn Left onto Watershed Road (Hiwinui School)
11.36km Turn Left onto Colyton Road
16.83km On Colyton Road – Beware of 1 Way Bridge
18.37km Finish – For Laps Continue on
18.46km Turn Left onto Taonui Road
20.27km Turn Left onto Reids Line East
22.83km on Reids Line East – Beware of 1 way Bridge
27.9 km Turn Left onto Watershed Road (Hiwinui School)
29.8km Turn Left onto Colyton Road
35.2km On Colyton Road – Beware of 1 Way Bridge
36.8 km Finish
TROPHY for the Essex Cup
Presented to the winner of the handicapped race
Thank you to all of our Bike Manawatu Sponsors, Grant Funders and Volunteers – We appreciate you all
Together Everyone Achieves More