Published on Friday, 14 October 2016 08:40
Written by Ian Gray
Its all going to happen at Johnston Park Feilding to set the track racing season start on labour day October.
We had a good turnout for the track working bee and thanks to all who helped. Marty Baker has done a great job water blasting the spectators concrete seating and surrounds and it looks great being so tidy and clean. The inside of the grass verge around the track has been sprayed and sections of the track has had the Lichen sprayed.
We have potentially hired out 24 track bikes and Brent Zimmerman and myself have set the riders positions up on the track and there looks to be some very promising U15 and U17 ‘rookie’ riders. There will be a big field in the U15’s grade and it is likely we will run A and B grades in this section. Again this year there will be a sparkling brand new Hillbrick track bike to be awarded to a most promising rookie rider in the U15 or U17 grade. This will be judged by a 3 person panel and the winner will be presented with the Hillbrick track bike at the November 20th meeting.
- Cancellations of meeting due to bad weather will be posted on the BikeManawatu Track Cycling Facebook group 45 minutes before track start time. We will also endeavor to get this posted on the BikeManawatu website and Facebook page
- REMEMBER ALL NEW TRACK RIDERS (ROOKIES) ARE REQUIRED TO ATTEND ONE OF TWO TRACK ORIENTATION SESSIONS TO BE HELD EITHER ON THE SATURDAY 14TH OR SUNDAY 15TH OCTOBER AT 1:30PM. This compulsory session involves learning how to ride the track safely and you will be required to have your track bike, helmet, cycling shoes, cycling kit, and gloves
- Racing grades: You will start at the beginning of the season in the grade according to your 2017 CyclingNZ license category (this is dependent on your age at the 31st December)
- Cost: $20.00 for the whole 2016/17 season (racing before and after Christmas), this is to be paid in cash when you register at your 1st meeting of the season. Kate Stewart will be at the first two meetings running registration, so you may need to arrive slightly earlier to register. Registration involves payment, signing the waver, filling out your contact details and receiving your number for the season
- Numbers: Again this year you will be responsible for your own number. This involves bringing it to each race meet (NO NUMBER = NO RESULT) and returning it at the end of the season. If your number is not returned to Kate Stewart or Ian Gray within a month of the last track meet you will be charged $20.00
- Licensing: Track riders need to be at least a member of BikeManawatu club. To race at WCNI events a centre license is required. National events require a CyclingNZ race license
- We are always after volunteers, please click here to read more. We especially would like to know who has their 1st aid certificate.
It also looks likely we will have enough riders to run a masters grade this season and this will certainly encourage our older riders.
I would like to wish all riders the best of luck for the season and hope we have some good Spring and Summer weather.
We will have some exciting competitions coming up so for information keep watching the ‘Track Cycling’ section of the BikeManawatu website and the BikeManawatu track Cycling Facebook group.
Track Cycling contacts
Track Co-ordinator: Ian Gray, 0211205751